Falls and Fall Prevention
Balance can be improved at almost any age.
Why should you?
Because Falling is becoming an epidemic.
Refer to this CDC Briefing
for some alarming Facts on Falls
Risk, Injuries, and Death related to Falls.
- 1 in 3 people 65+ fall each year!
- 10% to 20% of falls cause serious injuries
- 20% die within a year after hip fracture
Keep things moving... go Walk
Through the site learn about different forms of Walking---from simply
getting Up to Walking in Rhythm.
Walking is the top choice for regular exercise
Unlike most other forms of exercise:
Walking is free and requires no special equipment or training
- Walking is safe and low-impact, with a low risk of injuries and accidents.
- Walking for health can be combined easily with walking for other reasons: walking to work,
school or shops; visiting a place of interest; walking the dog
- You can enjoy a variety of surroundings as you walk in different places
and different seasons
- You don't need to concentrate on the walking itself, leaving you free to
enjoy your surroundings, chat to companions or just relax
Regular Walking will:
- Improve your heart and circulation
- Lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Promote weight loss
- Improve flexibility of joints and muscles
- Build strength in muscled and bones
- Boost your immune system
- Help you breath more efficiently
- Aid restful sleep
- Help maintain a balanced body chemistry
- Build Confidence and mental well-being
- Keep you on the Dance Floor of Life
walking can reduce the risk of a number of health problems including:
Check out your own Walk Score